INSTRUCTION FOR COLON PREPARATION with PICOPREP
- Please take PICOPREP as directed by your doctor.
- Time as well as interval between doses may vary on individual instructions.
- The doctor may prescribe 2 or 3 sachets PICOPREP depending on individual needs.
- Please follow instructions carefully. The success of your examination depends on the bowel being as clear as possible.
- Bowel movements start within 2-3 hours after taking the first PicoPrep dose, and may continue intermittently for up to two hours after the last dose.
- PicoPrep produces watery stools which will become clear with no solid matter.
- It is advisable to remain near a toilet Apply Vaseline to the anus before & after each stool
TWO days before the procedure
Follow a soft, Fibre-free diet on this day e.g. Pasta, pumpkin, steamed fish or chicken, clear soup, clear jelly. Avoid fibrous vegetables and fruit with seeds or pips.
THE DAY BEFORE THE COLONOSCOPY
Have a normal breakfast, and at 13h00 a light lunch of boiled/poached egg and white bread with tea/coffee or fruit juice
Thereafter CLEAR FLUIDS ONLY – drink at least one glass per hour from 13h00 until bedtime.
Recommended fluids :
Water, Black Tea / Coffee, Clear strained chicken noodle soup,
Bovril drinks, clear fruit juices eg Apple, Litchie, Grape juice, Isotonic drinks (Energade, Game),
Rehidrate & Jelly (only green and yellow)
No milk or dairy products allowed
No orange, red & purple drinks allowed.
Drink only clear fluids for supper.
16h00 : Mix one sachet PicoPrep in a glass of hot water & stir to form a clear solution.
Chill with ice and drink followed by another glass of water.
The doctor may prescribe the next sachet to be taken at 20h00 followed by a glass of water.
DAY OF THE COLONOSCOPY
08h00 : Mix one sachet PicoPrep as before and drink followed by a glass of water.
Small sips of water or clear liquids may be taken until 10h00
Nothing more to drink for 4 hours before the procedure.
Sedation is given – please ensure there will be someone to drive you home.
It is beneficial to take QuatroFlora capsules after the procedure to restore intestinal flora.